Eran Cohen

Eran Cohen is Director of Product Management at Preempt.
Find me on:

Recent Posts

How to Use Identity, Behavior and Risk to Prevent Compromised Credentials

Posted by Eran Cohen on Jan 25, 2018 10:00:00 AM

Identity, Behavior and Risk. Identity, Behavior and Risk. Almost like a mantra. Think about it for few seconds. Identity, Behavior and Risk are the 3 main pieces of evidence that security personnel would like to deeply understand so they can protect their organization and users from credential compromise

Read More

Getting the Most out of a Security Product POC

Posted by Eran Cohen on Jan 21, 2018 3:00:00 PM

Vendors, especially in the over crowded security space, often must help buyers justify their investment. But what happens when there isn’t a real problem during the test period? This can make it difficult to properly assess. Some security vendors will simulate problems, others may sponsor penetration tests, or they may provide a list of tests and tools, and so on. In the highly competitive End Point market (aka AntiVirus) they will use any tool they may have in the box.

Read More

Topics: CISO, POC

Reduce Harm by Refocusing on the Basics

Posted by Eran Cohen on Aug 11, 2017 10:22:02 AM

Full disclosure: I wasn’t physically at BlackHat 2017. But my colleagues who attended told me about the keynote by Alex Stamos, CSO at Facebook.

Read More

Topics: CISO, Risk, Passwords, Identity, Informaton Security

QakBot, Stop Playing with my Active Directory!

Posted by Eran Cohen on Jun 23, 2017 9:39:32 AM

Really, it’s not just me saying that Active Directory is the crown jewel. It's actually them, the hackers, that de facto target the active directory in almost every advanced attack. They look for domain credentials and administrative accounts, they practice domain reconnaissance, privilege elevation, targeted attacks against the domain controller and more. Their motivation is similar to terror. For example: produce widespread fear, obtain recognition and attention of media, steal money, damage facilities and functionalities. This is why it was not surprising to learn about the QakBot Trojan causing a mess. 

Read More

Topics: Active Directory, Credential Compromise, Passwords, Hacking

The Insider Threat Denial Syndrome

Posted by Eran Cohen on May 18, 2017 12:01:22 PM

I believe there is a “denial syndrome” that exists in cyber security. I’m not referring to the “It won’t happen to me” concept, I’m pointing to a deeper and more dangerous belief. In psychology, denial happens when we are uncomfortable with the facts of reality and instead of dealing with it we reject it, insisting it is not correct.

Read More

Topics: User Risk, Insider Threat

35% of Users Have Weak Passwords; the Other 65% can be Cracked

Posted by Eran Cohen on Mar 13, 2017 5:00:00 AM

Password leaks from public breaches help us learn how people think, allow us  to identify patterns and build dictionaries of passwords. As password cracking methods evolve, Upper characters, Lower characters, Special characters and Digits (ULSD) recommendations and password complexity mean less.

Read More

Topics: CISO, Credential Compromise, Passwords